Planning a regular date night for you and your partner is key to keeping your relationship healthy. We all know this, we all have heard this, most of us want this! Coming up with ideas and finding the time can be a challenge.
Many of these ideas can turn into the monthly event, so that you two know exactly what you are doing each time you go out. For example, I have a friend who does brunch with her husband every Sunday, that is their weekly date. They know the day, the time, and the place.
I created seven categories of date night ideas for couples. For each category I have my top ten recommendations. I hope you find them sexy, fun, and fulfilling.
1. At Home Date Ideas:
Parenthood is full of seasons. You may be in the season where hiring a sitter and getting out of the house is too much for you to plan regularly. You can still plan special time with your partner, you just have to think outside of the box!
• Get a dartboard, have music and darts night
• Late night dessert and conversation
• Take a bath together
• Read a book together, each one reading a chapter out loud
• Choose an “adult” (the kids can’t watch) TV show to snuggle and watch
• Try a date subscription box-from “fun” to “racy”
• Get a fire pit-talking at night over the fire is really cozy!
• Find a game you both love, conversation and fun regularly.
• Share dreams-create a “bucket list”
• Find a shared interest and learn at home together ie. investing, photography, a new language, cooking, home improvement
2. Quick Date Ideas:
You and your partner found some time to get out of the house, but not a lot! Do you need some fun couples date ideas that you can do in a limited amount of time?
• Grab a coffee or dessert
• Walk (the town square, in the park, neighborhood, etc)
• Go to a bookstore (and choose the next book you will read together)
• Plan a monthly garage sale trip
• “Crash” a few open houses to get ideas for your own home
• Shoot a game of pool
• Go for a drive, listen to a podcast, music, or talk
• Couples photos! Each time out, find a different spot and do “selfies”
• Take Fido to the dog park
• Head to “Hallmark” buy each other a card, no peeking!
3. Active Date Ideas:
Do you and your love “get stuck” doing the same old thing too often? Do you crave a little activity? Here are some ideas to get your blood pumping a little while still being able to spend time together.
• Visit a climbing gym or go rock climbing
• Bike riding, if super adventurous, try tandem
• Rent a paddle boat or kayak
• Go bowling
• Take an exercise class together: ie. spin, yoga, kickboxing, water aerobics, HIIT
• Go to the batting cages
• Visit the local pool or beach
• Play racquetball, tennis, or pickle ball
• Play bocce ball (we love this so much, we bought a set for at home)
84 fabulous Date Night Ideas!
Is your love life..
stuck in a routine?
not a priority?
needing some new ideas?
- 112 Date Night Cut Outs
- 7 Categories: at home, quick, active, cheap, creative and romantic and sexy
- 12 fun dates in each category
- 4 blank cut outs per category *for you to add your own ideas
- Print on different colored paper to "cheat" and know the category
84 Date Night Ideas
12 Dates in each category!
4. Inexpensive Date Ideas:
You want to go out, and are able to find the time, however, you need to watch the budget! These ideas are fabulous to get you and your honey out together, while keeping your wallet in mind!
• Play frisbee golf
• Go geocaching (this actually became a family favorite)
• Check out Groupon and try something new!
• Town hosts a free concert (or live music somewhere)
• High school theatre or sports event
• Putt-Putt golf
• Local trivia night
• Go to a local arcade
• Do a food truck tour
5. Explore Your Creative Side Date Ideas:
Being a creative can be difficult, so many ideas seem, well, boring. Here are 10 couples date night ideas with the creative spirit in mind.
• Sip and Paint
• Floral arrangement class
• Go to hobby store and get a craft kit: model car, bracelet, sculpting, holiday items, mosaics, etc.
• Take a woodworking, sculpting, pottery, painting, etc. class
• Attend a book reading
• Learn to blow glass
• Visit an art museum or gallery
• Watch a foreign film or Sunset Film Award Winner
• Go to a poetry slam
• Paint and hide rocks
6. Romantic Date Ideas:
Work, kids, exhaustion, heck, sometimes just life can wear us down. If you feel like you are getting into a daily routine with no spark or romance, these 10 date night ideas are intended to remind you and your love of the “why” you came together in the first place.
• See a comedy show (laughter is so sexy)
• Get a couples massage
• Splurge for a nice dinner (get dressed up)
• Do a winery tour (or fake it by tasting a bunch of wines at a local wine bar)
• Hot air balloon ride
• Dinner with live music
• Dance (even if it is at your house)
• Staycation, book a hotel locally
• Watch the sunrise, or sunset together
7. Sexy Date Ideas:
Sex. It is at the crux of most of our married relationships. Unfortunately, it is so easy to skip it, get into a routine, or go through the motions. If you want to bring fun back to the bedroom, these ideas are not for the faint hearted, but definitely for those seeking some adult fun.
• Try a little role playing
• Find some fun “bedroom” board games
• Strip poker
• Body paint
• Take turns giving a body massage
• Feast on foods of love (aphrodisiac foods, ie: artichokes, avocados, berries, dark chocolate, oysters, pomegranates, and watermelon)
• Commando (whatever you decide to do, do it with the promise of nothing underneath)
• Take a sudsy bath together (and wash each other)
• Buy each other what you want to see them in (lingerie, dressy, etc)
• For the really adventurous: go to an adult store and pick out a new toy together
Making special “us” time with your partner is important for a healthy relationship. Besides making it clear that you are prioritizing each other, It gives you both a chance to get to know each other better, have fun together and laugh.
I recommended 70 date night ideas that I love. Please let me know others you have tried that you think are fun!
*If one of your primary obstacles to having a date night with your honey is child care, look for my article next month: How to Find the Time to Date Your Spouse.
“You know what the best part of today was? I got the chance to fall in love with you all over again.” – Shrek